Friday 26 April 2013

Brains, fine motor and tea!

This week has been one of learning new skills, using either practical hands on skills or using the old grey matter and on some occasions a bit of both. Especially when some of the instructions given are not always very clear or decipherable! 

The main grey matter skill has involved trying to work out with somewhat more precision how to do a repeat in Photoshop. I have managed in the past with Beans and Radiolarian, but I want to get better, more confident in my skills and most definitely quicker at it! I do love creating patterns by hand, but realise that sometimes you have to let technology in. So I will keep practising until I'm totally sure and if you have any tips that you think may help that would be great.

Radiolarian copyright Ballistic Owl/Tracy Bidwell 2013

The other activities have involved my fine motor skills and some grey matter. I ordered some lampshade kits and have thoroughly enjoyed putting my own fabrics onto them. Here are two using my Beans (or Pods as I've renamed it) and Radiolarians. I must say they look rather fabulous and I'm keen to make more and soon they will be up on the website and on Etsy, so look out for them.

Pods copyright Ballistic Owl/Tracy Bidwell 2013

Then today I've spent time on the sewing machine, learning how to put zips into things and how to make small purses. I must say it was rather a lengthy process first time around, partly due to the fact I chose a pattern with a patchwork type section in the centre as well as learning the zip bit and lining too. It feels a little strange and almost like I should have known how to do it, but I'm more of an hand embroiderer and so a lot of machine skills don't come easily. Aided by plenty of tea, I'm glad to say though that I mastered today's project and made a second purse in much less time and the zip looks better too.

So now I'm armed with my new found and developing skills, I'm going to keep creating and making and soon you'll find more gorgeous things on the website or Etsy. 

Now what shall I make next..............................

First attempt: purse with a zip.

Thank you for popping by and don't forget to check out my Etsy shop the link is at the top of my blog :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment