This image shows me lining up the second layer of a print, a little tricky as the first printed image doesn't always show through. I used my koda trace to line this one up, as to do it by eye could have meant that some of the lines clashed and would ruin the whole effect.
Wednesday, 23 February 2011
I've been spending a lot of time in the dye lab over the last week, experimenting with colour and sometimes being surprised by what comes out of the bucket! You have an idea of what dyes make what colours, but occasionally they fool you when you think you have it sussed out.
Sunday, 13 February 2011
Last week I spent my first week in the print room and it will probably be the first of many. It was really quite as all of the 2nd year's were in Paris and so were a few from my year. So I made the most of a deserted dye lab and print table. The product of my labours are pictured. I'm pleased with some more than others, but it's all just development at the moment.
The weird vegetable I found in a super market and thought it looked quite alien-like. Made more funny looking by being vivid lime green! It's a Romanesco and is a friend of the cauliflower. I liked the form and it would have been great to draw for my minor project, shame I didn't find it sooner really.
I am now the proud owner of a good old fashioned sewing box! It's great and I've got most of my stuff in it. Previously all my sewing things were in little individual boxes and lids were always popping off and bits falling out everywhere. Now it's all together and looks fab, and hopefully nothing will fallout.
Wednesday, 2 February 2011
Black is the colour of the moment! Well it will be for the next week or so as I work on my Koda traces.
Preparing your design for print is quite time consuming, but vital if you want a good screen to print with at the end of it. The design shown has been drawn out four times! My little mitts can't wait to get in the print room though and start introducing a bit of colour, patience is a necessary element of surface design.